The village of Axos is 46km southeast of Rethymnon on the Rethymnon - Panormon - Perama - Mourtzana - Axos - Anogia road.
Axos is above a fertile valley north of Psiloritis where there is an abundance of water; a public fountain is still in use dating from the Middle Ages. Axos was an important ancient Greek city probably built at the time that the Dorians came to Crete (around 1000 B.C.). Its harbour was in Bali and there was a large wall around the city. Axos was also important during Byzantine times as the large number of Byzantine churches in the area testify. There were 46 churches in the area and nine of them survive today.
Photos of Axos:
Agia Irini Church in Axos
The fresco depicting Christ' s baptism in Agios Ioannis Church in Axos
The fountain in front of Michael Archangelos Church, Axos
|< Prev||Next >|