EnglishGreekDeutschFrenchItalianRussian
Crete TOURnet: Home Crete Guide Sights in Crete Byzantine Sights Toplou Monastery Churches in Moni Toplou

Toplou Monastery Churches in Moni Toplou

Lodging list in Toplou Monastery Churches in Moni Toplou

Itanos Hotel

The (2C B. C.) inscription in the Toplou Monastery
The (2C B. C.) inscription in the Toplou Monastery
There is also an important inscription on the left wall of the entrance to the church which is part of the Arbitration of Magnesia (132 B.C.) referring to an alliance between Itanos and Ierapytna (see Itanos). The slab was brought from Itanos for a tomb stone to be used later as an altar in the small church of Timios Stavros across the road from the monastery. The Englishman R. Pashley suggested its present position while travelling in Crete in 1834, having recognised its importance.
The main monastery church is a double-aisled basilica, consecrated to the Nativity of Our Lady and Agios Ioannis Theologos (celebrating 8 and 26 September respectively). The church also contains some fourteenth century frescoes on the north wall and a rare antique carved altar screen.
 

Photos of Toplou Monastery Churches in Moni Toplou:


The Venetian church Timios Stavros, Moni Toplou
The Venetian church Timios Stavros, Moni Toplou
The Venetian church Timios Stavros, Moni Toplou
The Venetian church Timios Stavros, Moni Toplou
Timios Stavros Church near Moni Toplou
Timios Stavros Church near Moni Toplou
The (2C B. C.) inscription in the Toplou Monastery
The (2C B. C.) inscription in the Toplou Monastery
 
Visit the area of the sight: Toplou Monastery